Thursday, September 19, 2013

Intertwining Pew and Infographics

  I continue on my journey on becoming a librarian, Dr. Perry has taught me that it is essential to read and keep up with  literature and studies on technology and its effect on teens, children, and young adults in and out of the classroom. I will even included technology statistics that involve parents before I am done with this semester!!!

To depict the presentation I read, "10 Things to Know About How Teen Use Technology,"presented by  Dr. Kristen Purcell at the ACT Enrollment Planners Conference on July 10, 2013 I will use one of the following infographics: Easel.ly, Pikochart, or Infogr.am.

Before I start analyzing the presentation, I have to choose what infographic app I like better.

I like Easel.ly a lot, but needing to use Firefox for the program to work effortlessly is a major turn off. It is a deal breaker for me.  At least, Easel.ly did not hide it from its users. The app will notify the user about the inconvenience with a pop-up message before they start. I still tried through. I used Firefox, but it was still difficult to use. It was  going smoothly until I wanted more. The editing bar got in the way and didn't want to move. I couldn't figure out to create other graphs the template had.  As you can see, I did not get very far. I couldn't  complete my infograph on that app. Here is my first try. EPIC FAIL!

inforgraphictry1 title=
easel.ly

Using infogr.am was not any easier  for me to use to create my infograph. Yes, all you had was double click  to change the information, but the things I wanted it do was for the pro version. You as a user couldn't do very much or I am not very technology savvy.  The header text was to big, I didn't know where to go to minimize it. The title didn't totally fit on the screen at one time. I finally got to get the quote the way I wanted, but the graph did not work the way. I wanted to move something it disappeared  and I couldn't figure our how to get back.  For example, the title in the third photo. I tried several times before saying and thinking this app isn't for me.  As you can see I was not very successful. On to the last and final suggestion, Piktochart. 


 



 
 
 
 When I saw that Piktochart format I thought I found the app that could do the things I wanted it to do. It took me forever to create a functional infographic about how cell phones have gotten popular and  being used in education. But, I became  a pro after continuously messing around with it. This is a seek peek into the presentation I chose was about.
 


The presentation I chose reveals ten things we as  teachers, adults, parents, and librarians should know about... how teens are using technology.

Teens are in the forefront of the development of technology. They know the new tech before we know about it. They are teachers in these areas in my opinion.

However, in this presentation by Dr. Kristen Purcell does not approach it in that way. She uses this presentation as a way to educate the masses and not simply talking at us. She uses data to enforce her ten things.

Her ten things are:
1. Among  Teens 12-17, social network site growth had slowed, but Twitter use is growing rapidly
2. Today's teens are sharing more personal information online than teens in the past
3. Today's teens do care about online privacy
4. Today's teens take active steps to manage their online reputations
5. Parents of teens are very aware that online content can impact their teen's lives
6. Most teen's educational environments include the use of at least some digital technologies
7. The internet has fundamentally altered how teens do research, but not necessarily for the worse
8. Digital tools can benefit teens' writing skills and abilities according to teachers
9. Teachers are divided as to whether "digital natives" are all that unique
10. A digital divide persists in the area of education and technology

The parts I found most interesting came at the end. I think because it had to deal with the teacher and  what is being implemented in their classrooms technologically.

 I know it is a struggle to incorporate technology in our already stretching curriculum, but we have to find a away because it is possible.

 I created another infographic to stress what the last pages of the presentation was about. It is not all, but what I found interesting and important.   Here is also the link to the presentation I used for this  entry. There were 46 pages in the presentation.
http://www.pewinternet.org/Presentations/2013/Jul/10-Things-to-Know-About-HowTeens-Use-Technology.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment