Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Facebook: School Libraries

Facebook has become a social phenomenon and  a monster people cannot get enough of. Even school libraries have gotten on band wagon. School libraries use Facebook to promote events,  newsworthy reading material, and more. However, like everything there are advantages and disadvantages to it.

Navigating Facebook for school libraries only Pasadena High School Library and Thomas Downey High School Library caught my eye. These two libraries held qualities I would like for my future library.

*Promotes school participation
*Announcements and Reminders
*Events
*Updates
*New books
*Book Reviews
*Connecting with Patrons
 

Pasadena HS Library update their page frequently and added personality. You can see the passion the library has for what they do . They have authors visits, book reviews, school spirit, and they even hold Teen Book Con for their students. They put their heart and soul into the page to make sure it a utilized resource for their students, community, and school.




Thomas Downey High School Library caught my attention by their bulletin boards!  They used these boards to draw students to the different genres their library offers.  The page manager also uses this page has their review site for the books they are reading. I believe this brings in the personal aspect many librarians are missing because  the manager doesn't shy away from what they have to say about the book. It shows the manager's literary journey to the students and those that like or follow their page.  It is personalized.

 


 

Other libraries like Montclair High School Library just capture my heart immediately because of what it has to offer. They  have library quotes, relatable material for students and adults, and most of all it's welcoming.  



 

 
 

School libraries might have started Facebook pages with good intentions, but some are not well kept or updated. Some libraries like Providence High School Library lacked the following:

*Maintenance
*Activity
*Response from student body, faculty,  and school
*Promotion of site and what it offers
*Student participation
 


 

What  I wanted to see while doing this research was more great libraries utilizing social media instead of the sparse population I found. However, the few that I found did an awesome job incorporating Facebook into their library. They also showed  me what I have to do in order to have a successful library program wherever  I am in the future. I have to be innovative, current, and continuously learning  about technology to ensure that my library and patrons have what they need.


2 comments:

  1. Very nice post. Thanks for the good examples. I wish there were more out there using this tool as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is important because now it is very important because it is difficult to get students involved and wanting to come into the library willingly.

    ReplyDelete