Thursday, November 7, 2013

Playing with Words


Words. How English teachers love words. I became extremely giddy to complete task. I hope these sites that will create my word portraits are easy and navigable without to much hassle.

First up, Wordle.

Wordle: Untitled

I did like it,  but what I didn't like took OVER.

Like:
1. Created the cloud for me
2. Used my words from my statement

Dislikes:
1. I couldn't choose the words that were the focus
2. Had limited choices.
3. No power about what words make it on to the cluster
4. You couldn't move words around, but use the provided button under the cluster

On to the next, Tagxedo.

 
What I liked about Tagxedo? Well, it was better than Wordle because I was able to choose a shape and had better color palettes. An image can make a site a lot better than not having none, but clusters of words. Images are pleasing to the eye and you have to read " The House of Hades" by Rick Riordan to figure out why I chose this animal. The book is worth finding out!!!

Contiuning, Tangul.

Get Adobe Flash player



This is my favorite because it had more options and more of creative input than the others. I, personally liked this because I was the one in charge on how I wanted my cloud to look. I chose the words that went in or out of the cloud. I choose the colors I wanted. I didn't have to settle of a particular color palette. I also had to register and sign in. My creation was  saved on my account. I didn't have to save it to my computer only. This is the ONE for me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Reading is my way to relax and October was the month were all of the books I was waiting for were released. The one book I finished this past weekend was "The House of Hades" by Rick Riordan.

Here is my first Quipio.

Then, my second.


 I am just warming up. I didn't know that I had a lot to say about various things. Here are my examples from ReciteThis.


 
 
So, Quipio or Recite This.

I choose Quipio because it was easier for me to use because I have an account and I was able to transfer my quotes easier. My quotes were in my photos  area and ready to send.

While, Recite This was easier to use, but was limited on templates to use and I could only share my design in four different ways and Blogger wasn't an option. So I had to take a picture of my work and send it to myself to upload to my blog. Too many unnecessary steps. Simple the better.

Using these applicatons can allow students to freely express themselves thoughtfully without any added pressure. If a student read a book and choose one quote from that book that meant something to them and designed one of these images. We will know as teachers what the student thought of the book. It could even be used as prompts to get students writing. Getting students to use technology is not the problem, it is getting them to think for themselves that is. Using these application in class in more can help prompt them to do so. Students will be doing the work, not the teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Your word clouds were great. I really enjoyed the different shapes that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to get shapes that reflected something about the books. So it can help readers link both together as they read.

    ReplyDelete